Tuesday, May 28, 2013

This is probably my absolute favorte project that I have done in this class. Mainly for the fact that I had a lot of room to make something weird and exciting and it was able to include an almost alien atmosphere. This project was for an MC Escher like drawing that we had to do. MC Escher was an artist who liked to make outlandish painting and drawings. A lot of his work includes creatures and things that dont follow our laws of reality here on Earth. Earth. That was the key word that I heard when deciding what to draw. The drawing that I have is not on Earth, oh it is FAR from it! that is what made me so excited to make this drawing. For a long time me and my family have been heavy gamers. And if anyone else is a fan of the computer game company Blizzard, they should quickly realize that this drawing was bassed of a game called StarCraft. Now, this isnt an exact replica of the game, as I wanted to add my own special flaire to it, but it was heavily based on using a Terran Marine, a Seige Tank, and a Zerg Den that is seen through the reflection of the Marine's helmet. When I created the Seige Tank, it was actually planned before hand to be a bunker. But because in the actual game, i hardly use bunkers and Seige Tanks made more of an appearance when I play, I decided to go with my heart and add it in. I had a lot of room to create what I wanted in this drawing and I wanted to add so many more units, but i took a LOT of time in making the complex interworkings of the siegetank that I had to settle for what you see. The Seige Tank was the first part of the drawing that I worked on. You may not see the exact vanishing points right away, but I used perspective drawing to create the legs of the seige tank to add its sense of distance in the background. I also used a different set of vanishing points on the building inside of the visor. This is easier to see it vanishing as it is a smaller building and the vanishing points are much closer, but this was actually a late addition to the artwork. After i had finally completed most of the Tank in the background, i decided to work on the Marine. The Marine had to be close to the action, and if I had more time, i wouldve added one of his buddies in the backround in close combat with the enemy right behind him. However, i kept this out because after testing to see what would work, I found that i had to complete the closest marine first, and that the other Marine could come later. Plus the fact that there wasnt much space behind the first marine, and it might have confused the veiwer as to what was happening in the drawing. As most fans of the game know, a battle can get very confusing as to what is happening and it is very hard to see what is actually happing between each and every individual unit in the game. The reflection off of the Marine's visor came next when drawing this out. I wanted to add a drone or two, and maybe a zergling, but i decided to stay with the Den due to time constraints. I may at a later date actually add the little details and extra units, but for now I am pleased with what I have. The Den had to have extra layers in it wich would work perfect in using the point perspective techinque that I used. The Den was actually one of the easiest parts of the drawing and took the least amount of time to add. Then finally, I just HAD to add in a background showing the Terrans on a distant planet. The almost spiky surrounding shows that they are in fact, NOT on Earth, and most likely on a zerg infested planet. I had a lot of fun making this part of the drawing because of all the nostalgia that was going through my mind with all the campaigns and battles of previous games that I had emerged both victoriously and defeated in. The background was actually the easiest to shade in after shading in the units and the Zerg base. The light is brighter on the left side of the Marine, but becasue the Zerg Den is in the reflection, i had to reverse the sides of where the light was coming from. I was very pleased with how this project turned out despite the fact that I had to force myself to leave a lot out, such as an entire other army (the Protoss) that I could add in or the countless other units that could have made an appearance. Overall, it was the funnest time Ive ever had in making a art project.

No comments:

Post a Comment