Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I was supprised with how this project went. I had never drawn my shoes before, so this thing was entirely new to me. This Drawing was made fairly early into the semester, and it was actually pretty difficult to draw. I had to constantly keep erasing and erasing and actually had to draw this thing nearly twice because I got the sizes wrong! The main goal that we were trying to achieve with this drawing was to make one shoe overlap the other. This can be achieved multiple ways, but we were to make the closest shoe a darker shade than the one in the back to help convey a sense of distance. I remember having to take this shoe drawing home as homework because of how complex it got at some areas and from all the little mistakes i kept worrying about. I could have picked a much simpler shoe, but I liked my running shoes and I loved the designs on them and I loved the challenge it presented of drawing them. During the planning of the composition stages I had actually planned on making the veiwer seeing only the bottom of the background shoe, but I scraped that idea as the underworkings were actually even more complex than the top of the shoe! Even though i wanted a hard shoe, the bottom of the shoe put in that way just made it seem unrealistic and i couldnt get it look how I wanted and I didnt want it to be confusing, so i just settle for drawing the top part of it. Making the shading in this drawing was a bit tough to do, because the shading had to represent the actual colors of the shoe. With shading you only have shaded areas, and non shaded areas. Sure you have the different hues and such, but the shoe in real life actually has multiple colors, instead of just plain black and white. However, by putting dark areas in the right spots and leaving some areas blank, I was still able to add a lot of variety because of the value in the design of the shoes. Overall I recall having a lot of fun with this drawing. This project helped me realize that doing sketchlike projects, pencil shadings point perspective drawings (even though this project didnt include any vanishing points in it) are my favorite kind of artworks to create, and that I can never get too bored of doing them. (Even when it SERIOUSLY cramps up my hand at times!)

No comments:

Post a Comment