Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The color scheme that I used in this painting was the analogous color scheme. It actually took me a while to finally settle on this desicion, but after picking out my photos i figured that this color would look closest to the scene that i wanted to create. In organizing my painting I looked at multiple pictures. I had so many ideas and things i wanted to add such as a fence running along the background, but to do that would make it less wild and take away from the complete isolation from society that I wanted to create. When i first started this painting, my composition seemed to be heavily lacking. All that i had was two big mountains, a little bit of sky, and a whole lot of nothing. The river was always planned, but even with that i knew something was missing. It wasnt until a few days later that I realized I needed a tree, and this white one just fit the bill. However, when i created this tree I had a few options i could do with it. I could make hundreds dotting the landscape, or make something like what you see here. I wanted to close in the atmosphere and make the veiwer seem like part of the picture. So i put the tree almost running into the veiwer as they stare off into the distance of the mountains that are miles and miles away. When i created this painting, i almost put the light source on the top leftmost side, however as I started painting i realized that it would look really well with the light coming in over the top right of the mountain with the clouds. You may not see the sun, but you can tell its up high because of the small shadows coming off of the mountains. My brush strokes that are seen most vividly with the bushes and clouds varied actually not all that much. Mostly because to create alsmot everything else, long straight brushwork was required to bring in the feeling of distance and space. Also my canvas was really big and so the quickest way to get the paint on there was to apply a lot of it and drag it around as much as possible. Finally, I want to point out the value. No, not the value like the, cha-ching I've got money, kind of value. But the value that you see on one side of the tree as the sun finds it hard to reach its left most side and how on the right it is vividly shining. Value can also be seen somewhat in the fields on both sides of the river, the mountains do stand out from the ground ofcourse, but they still interact with the grass by blocking the light and casting shadows and thus, creating a darker green where light cannot shine. Overall i was very pleased with this painting because i am not used to using paints and generally try to avoid them as i usually create a big mess. However, suprisingly enough, this turned out to be one of my favorite projects to create!

No comments:

Post a Comment